3x ENGLISH TOPICS > printvenlig version (Pdf)
Junk food and the physical fitness-movement
- The McDonalds culture & Supersize Me
- a sound mind in a sound body (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_sana_in_corpore_sano)
- eating habits and social classes
Contexts, page 90-91, 96-97, 102-104
http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/content/full/21/2/245 (scientific article)
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/obesity_health.htm (doctor’s advice)
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050829/ruskin (childhood obesity)
http://www.fitness.gov/resources_factsheet.htm (President’s council)
3. Junk food
http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/foo-food (food statistics)
4. Eating disorders: Anorexia / Bulimia –
What to do?
Each group should find material – statistics, articles etc – on the subject; read it and present the results in class.
You should hand in a paper with the main lines you have investigated and your results.
Group work is planned to three modules.
You must plan your work on your own, but some questions are sort of obvious, or they may come in handy:
what (how many are obese, exercise, visit fast food restaurants; children / adult ratio .. ?)
why (do people become obese, exercise, eat junk food?)
how does it affect people's health / mind / life / happiness ..
how does it affect economy, health care budgets, elderly care, life expectancies .. ?
and maybe: what can be done – or what has governments and organisations tried to do ?
Monday Jan 5
Thursday Jan 8
Thursday Jan 15
Monday Jan 19
Thursday Jan 22
1. Obesity – A) Martin, Emil, Casper, Jacob; B) Julie, Tineke, Lene
2. Fitness – Jeppe, Søren, Morten, Morten, Muhamer
3. Junk food – A) Hans, Oliver, Krog; B) Mette, Christina, Louse, Ditte
4. Eating disorders: Anorexia / Bulimia – Ida, Stine, Nicole